Sunday, July 8, 2007

blessings...

as i sit here in my comfortable room, on my laptop and wireless internet, I know I am not yet experiencing any real sacrifices while i'm down here really. I have a beautiful house to live in, 3 meals a day (which is more than i can say somtimes even for back home - most of which require the help of cooks Wendy or Ronald...), have an office, technology... and living in community, daily worship, prayer times....

i know that the base camp is a place where we want to serve our groups and staff well, so that they can better serve the Mexican people in need. But as I drive around to the different work sites where the groups are building or serving, Im reminded or how even here in Mexico I take so much for granted. How quickly I already get used to seeing shack houses, garbage on the roads, dirty water, no electricity... I know it's not about going and living in Mexico that will teach or humble or reveal things to me. it's about being in a place - spiritually, mentally - where I allow God to stir my heart... for my eyes to see things the way he does... to see his chidlren he loves...

every night when i lead chapel, we have a sharing time and I ask the kids how did they see God today. the simple momentsw where God reveals himself to them, how he stirs up something in there heart - an awareness of injustice, a moment of true joy, or surrender, or confession...
I pray I won't forget to do that myself more and more...
as the weeks go on, that i won't my eyes and ears will become more and more aware of God's heart for his children... here in Mexico and in Burlington and around the world...

Gonna catch a nap before the next crew comes in for the week. 100 jr. highers. God bless us!
blessings and thanks for your prayers!

2 comments:

West Van United Church said...

Im glad you're alive!!!! (as in made it there safely).

Megan said...

Hey Rhonda It's great to hear that you made it and are doing well!! We hope you have a great summer there and hope to "talk" to you soon. (Erin, Megan and Kyle say hi too!!)