Friday, January 15, 2010

.haiti.

Im not sure what to think. what to do. how to respond. I can't say I've been blessed with the gift of mercy and don't usually have strong reactions to world disasters or crisis. This time feels different. Ive been really rattled by the news of the recent earthquakes in Haiti. It's kept me awake, its brought me to tears, its made me uncomfortable. Maybe it's b/c its closer or maybe because I have a little more understanding of what poverty is like and can't imagine how destructive this event would be for a country like Haiti. I think how much devastation something like that would bring to a country like Mexico... I can't imagine in Haiti which has more corruption, poverty, and lack of infrastructure. It's been a bit overwhelming and paralyzing. But instead I want it to call me to action. The strongest action I can offer right now is prayer. It's funny how i initially think "well, i guess i can only pray...". But really. it is the strongest action I can offer at this point. I hope you are joining me in this.

As a ministry we are trying to figure out what our response is. We're investigating organizations where we can direct donations personally and as a ministry. We're talking about our short term response as well as long term ideas. We are also determined to stir up a response among our partnering pastors and churches here in Ensenada. This will be another challenge to them regarding the shift of not just receiving, but giving as well.

May we not let this just pass as another news event. make it stir in us, ache in our hearts, and call us to action...

No comments: