Wednesday, July 30, 2008

an overdue update of my ponderings and such...

It’s a quiet Wednesday night. No chapel to lead as the groups are enjoying a night off at the beach or a local church service. Its so nice admist this group of 180+ people this week to enjoy an evening curled up in my room, enjoying a movie and visit with my roomi Nona. The interns are all off enjoying some time off too – and well deserved – they have been working long days and nights this week!

Its crazy to think that the summer is half over, but been crazier to think that just in 12 short days I’ll be flying back to Ontario. It feels weird to not finish out the summer, but Im heading back to get to spend some time with my family (who hasn’t been all together in over at least a year!) and also to spend some time volunteering at my ol’ stompin’ grounds – Silver Lake Camp. It will be strange but wonderful to get to enjoy that special place again, and to support some friends as they lead and finish off with Youth Camp. It will be a bit of a whirlwind upon returning home, but I’ll have a good month to enjoy ‘pre-retirement’. My only goals in September will include visiting friends& family, sitting on many pub patios, getting some wisdom teeth pulled, deal with insurance and business of sorts, and raise support for my upcoming year in ministry. I know I will enjoy these 6 weeks back in Ontario, but Ensenada feels like the place I am supposed to be right now. So that’s encouraging I suppose, knowing Im in the right place right now… encouraging, but still strange…

As the chapters and seasons evolve, its so crazy to think about all the change that has happened and will happen in the months to come…

I was reminded this week why I am here. You see in most situations I am meeting “poverty” when it’s admist hope and help. I see families with great need – but I get to see them receive a new home, a fresh start. This past week I was reminded the work is never done, and there is such deep needs that we can’t always get too. I met a family my friend Marvin has been trying to help out. We gave them a ride home one day and learned of their stories. The 4 kids who were starving and quickly gobbled up the simple sandwiches we bought them from the variety store... the father who was a recovering drug addict.. their run of bad luck as they just saved up to buy a [crappy] car just to get rear-ended a week later…. Aside from giving them a ride home and a bag of a few groceries, there was little I could offer this family. In that moment I tried to offer what I could… but that’s nothing. They will likely be going to bed hungry again tonight. And still will have mountains of struggles to climb again next week.
This time, I didn’t get to see hope amidst their poverty.
I just saw the poverty. The need. The hunger.
Right in my face. With limitations on what I could offer them… EOC can’t just build houses right away for anyone who wants it – there is process and healthy steps to take. I can’t just give away l my money to every person I see with a need.
So again, I’m hit with that tension. How do you best help everyone? What do you do?
Maybe as they hugged me with deep gratitude for the simple act we did for them, that was what I was supposed to do.
Love them. In that moment. Listen to them (even if I didn’t understand it all). Look them in the eyes (and past the dirt and hunger and weariness) see people. Just like me.
But it was heavy on my heart.
And Im glad for that. Im glad for that ache.
But I sure am glad for those moments we do get to offer hope amidst the ache.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great to read your comments. Can't wait to see you again. There's always room at this place for you to crash. I'd love to chat with you once again over lunch. See you soon my friend.
Linda