Thursday, June 7, 2007

21 days and counting

On June 28 I'll be boarding a plane to begin my journey to Ensenada, Mexico for two months. 21 days away... crazy! I can't believe how quickly this month is going to fly by. I can't believe how it has just crept up on me - i guess it's a bit different than preparing for camp where I would have already invested so much in the pre-camp season, and often check out earlier in mind than in body. Where as for this experience I haven't had to really think about Mexico much and so outta nowhere it's here! It's pretty exciting!

Maybe I should start from the beginning, for those partnering with me on this journey in prayer and support, so you all know the full story...

I began my adventures to Mexico about 4 years ago, when I lead my first Mexico Missions Trip with the youth. God lead us to YUGO thru a random internet search and it was a great first experience! My first trip was more about the excitement and the 'spiritual adrenaline rush' i get when my youth 'get it'... watching them grow, step up, step out - it was amazing! Since then i've lead 3 more youth trips, and been apart of an adult/mixed team as well. As I continued to return year after year, friendship formed with staff and local people, and i grew more and more in love with the culture, pace, people, and beauty of Mexico.

I have been involved in summer camp ministry for over 10 years and I don't really know what a summer looks like without morning devos, mosquitoes, and random dress up clothes and spandex! I sensed my time at Silver Lake Camp was coming to an end, and this fall after much thoughts, prayer, and some tears... i said goodbye to my role of director at SLC. I quickly began to plan ways to distract myself and fill up my summer months! When I spent two weeks in Mexico in November I had a chance to get a small sense of what it would be like to be there a bit longer. The leadership at YUGO asked me to pray about joining the staff on the summer. And that's what lead me to today... preparing myself for an amazing adventure in a wonderful country!

God works in mysterious ways...

I am so looking forward to this experience. To experience a new culture, living in simplicity, in the face of poverty but still so much beauty and purpose. To have a break from my work at the church - a world sometimes clouded with politics, meetings, and emails! To be the hands and feet of Christ in a hurting world. To provide homes, food, hope, and love to people in need. And hopefully have lots of fun in the process...

1 comment:

Linda said...

Many Blessings to you on your journey and in your ministries.